The Department of Modern Languages at Western Kentucky University invites applications for a tenure-eligible appointment as Assistant Professor of Spanish with an emphasis on language pedagogy, to begin in August 2017. This position will be located on WKU's main campus in Bowling Green, KY. The successful candidate is a dynamic teacher who engages students in learning both in and outside the classroom, and who contributes to the academic and extracurricular life of the language program. The individual hired will teach courses in second language acquisition and teaching methods, as well as courses in support of the Spanish major. Responsibilities will include coordinating lower-division Spanish as well as facilitating the work of student teachers in the field. S/he should be committed to working with teachers in the region. The individual hired is expected to be active in scholarship, professional organizations, and service.
-Doctorate in Linguistics, Second Language Acquisition, Foreign Language Education, Spanish, or related field
- Eligibility to work in the US required
- Native or near-native fluency in Spanish
- Ability to teach Spanish at all levels
- Evidence of excellent teaching ability, effective uses of technology, and commitment to proficiency-oriented instruction aligned with ACTFL standards
- Training and experience in teacher preparation / pedagogy for foreign languages