The Department of Languages and Literatures is the Faculty of Arts’ largest department with 13 different language subjects, around 140 staff members, a student volume of around 1200 full-time equivalents and a yearly turnover of about SEK 140 million. The Department’s research concerns the languages of the world and their literature from a broad contextualisation and a wide spectrum of theoretical foundations and specific applications.
Spanish with a linguistic specialisation
Specific subject description
The subject (Spanish) offers a linguistic and a literary orientation, with degrees awarded at all levels including in the third cycle. Education is offered as freestanding courses and within the frameworks of the Special Subjects Teacher Programme and the programmes in Business and Economics, Professional Translation, International Languages and Language and Intercultural Communication. Courses are carried out both on campus and online and there is an ambition to further develop the integration of internet-based teaching and blended learning in the on-campus courses. Research is conducted in the areas of linguistics, comparative literature and language education.
The position consists mainly of teaching and research. The research is expected to be conducted within the field of Spanish linguistics and should relate to any of the Department’s research profiles. The applicant should therefore describe how his or her research could benefit the involvement of the subject in these profiles. The teaching and student supervision will be conducted in the first and second cycles, both on campus and online, as well as in the third cycle, in the fields of Spanish linguistics, Spanish language history, and education focusing on linguistics. Teaching within the framework of the Department’s interdisciplinary programmes may also be required. As the successful applicant will be expected to participate broadly in the Department’s activities, other duties may be assigned as well.
The qualifications required for academic positions are given in Chapter 4, Sections 3?4 of the Swedish Higher Education Ordinance and in the University of Gothenburg’s Appointments Procedure.
The application assessment criteria for academic positions are given in Chapter 4, Sections 3?4 of the Higher Education Ordinance and in the University of Gothenburg’s Appointments Procedure. To be eligible for the position, the applicant must have obtained a doctoral degree (alternatively demonstrate equivalent qualifications) in the relevant subject area. In the assessment of qualifications, equal attention will be given to pedagogical and scholarly competence as well as other relevant qualifications. Particular attention will be given to documented qualifications in the following areas:
- Ability to initiate and manage research projects in the field of Spanish linguistics;
- Ability to create, develop and manage a research environment, as well as to lead research groups and provide education in the third cycle;
- Scholarly competence, demonstrated mainly though publications in international outlets;
- Teaching expertise demonstrated through documented experience of planning and execution of educational activities, including supervision, tutoring and examination, in particular in the second and third cycles;
- Ability to initiate and manage pedagogical and/or research-oriented projects with multiple participants, as well as manage education in the third cycle;
- Ability to cooperate with others and to manage and administrate education, research and outreach activities;
- Ability to convey information about research and development work and stimulate interest in Spanish linguistics among students;
- Production of teaching aids.
Ability to teach in Swedish or English is required.
In addition to expert assessment, the evaluation of applicants will include interviews and trial lectures, and possibly the taking up of references.
Type of employment: Permanent post
Extent: 100 %
Location: Department of Languages and Litteratures, Gothenburg
First day of employment: As per agreement
According to the University of Gothenburg’s Appointments Procedure, an applicant who has not completed formal training in teaching and learning in higher education of at least 15 higher education credits, and who cannot be deemed to have acquired the corresponding knowledge in any other way, shall undergo such training during the first year of employment.
The successful applicant shall be prepared, when necessary and within a few years of employment, to carry out administrative and pedagogical assignments requiring oral and written proficiency in Swedish.
The successful applicant will be expected to demonstrate extensive physical presence at the Department as well as regular participation in its work.
As we have already determined which recruitment channels to use for this position, we firmly request that contact with media sellers, recruitment sites and the like be avoided.
For further information:
- Regarding the position please contact Director of Studies Christine Fredriksson, +46 (0)31-786 5817, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Regarding the appointment procedure, please contact Human Resources Administrator Sarah Isaksson, +46 (0)31-786 4692, email@example.com
Union representatives at the University of Gothenburg: http://www.gu.se/english/about_the_university/job-opportunities/union-representatives
How to apply
In order to apply for a position at the University of Gothenburg, you have to register an account in our online recruitment system. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the job advertisement, and that it is submitted before the deadline. In case of publications and other material that cannot be submitted online, please contact Sarah Isaksson: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The selection of candidates is made on the basis of the qualifications registered in the application. Since the applications may be reviewed by international experts, we recommend that they be written in English. All applications must be submitted in accordance with the Faculty of Arts’ instructions:
Please enclose the following documents with the application (in pdf):
- PhD certificate
- Doctoral thesis
- Any textbooks or other teaching material produced
- Up to 10 scholarly publications that the applicant wishes to be considered
- A description of scholarly work and teaching activities
- A list of completed degrees and previous employment
- Qualifications portfolio I: Scholarly qualifications
- Qualifications portfolio II: Pedagogical qualifications
- Qualifications portfolio III: Qualifications related to managerial and administrative tasks
- Qualifications portfolio IV: Qualifications related to outreach activities
- Docent/reader statement of opinion (in the case of promotion to professor)
The application is to be written in English.