This is a full-time, 175-day (10-month annual contract) tenure-track faculty position in the Languages and Communication Department.
The instructor provides instruction in beginning, intermediate, and advanced Spanish; provides outreach and articulation with district high schools and with four-year colleges and universities; evaluates and counsels students; plans and organizes instructional materials toward course objectives; participates in program review and curriculum development; maintains five (5) required office hours per week for student consultation; participates fully in department and college activities; and maintains class and examination schedule, as well as grade and attendance records, according to college regulations and performs related duties as required. The assignment may include teaching in the evenings and on weekends at any college site, as well as teaching online or hybrid modalities.
- August 2017, pending board approval.
SALARY AND FRINGE BENEFITS
- Hiring salary range is $52,834 to $72,954 depending upon education and experience. A doctoral stipend of $2,500 is paid annually.
- Benefits include medical, dental, life, vision (employee only), and salary protection insurance.
The governing board seeks an individual with the following minimum qualifications:
1. Master?s in Spanish OR bachelor?s in Spanish AND master?s in another language or linguistics, OR the equivalent per Board Policy 7211.
2. Evidence of sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of staff and community college students and of staff and students with disabilities.
3. Demonstrated ability to:
- apply current theories and Spanish teaching practices in the classroom
- work with students possessing a broad range of learning styles, skills, motivation and educational goals
- plan, organize and present effective and innovative materials and concepts
- assess student success and facilitate student progress
- use multimedia technology in classroom instruction
- communicate effectively, both in oral and written communication
- establish and maintain cooperative working relationships
- identify assess, and use learning outcomes and assessment that lead to course and program improvements
- develop, review and evaluate Spanish curriculum and programs
- perform and support outreach and articulation
- Experience teaching courses in distance learning modalities
In its desire to select outstanding faculty members from the largest possible pool of qualified applicants, Allan Hancock College recognizes the fact that candidates may have attained expertise in a discipline through a variety of means. Certain combinations of education, experience, and other accomplishments in the field may be judged by the district as equal to the stated minimum qualifications for this position. Candidates who feel they possess such equivalent qualifications are encouraged to complete the equivalency form and provide appropriate documentation of their qualifications.
A committee will review applications. Meeting minimum qualifications does not ensure a candidate an interview. Therefore, it is important that the application be thorough and detailed. Applicants will be assessed on the breadth and depth of education, training, experience, skills, knowledge, and abilities. A limited number of applicants will be invited for an on campus interview at the college at their own expense. All interviewed candidates will be asked to present a teaching demonstration.
To be considered for this position, the candidate must submit the following application materials to the college human resources office by end of business (4:00 p.m.).
Friday, April 21, 2017
- Signed district application for faculty/administrative positions
- A current and complete resume/CV of education and professional experience
- Transcripts (unofficial copies are acceptable for the application process). Official transcripts are required if hired
- Cover letter
A committee will give priority review of application materials submitted by Friday, April 21, 2017. This position is open until filled. The district reserves the right to extend time limits, reinitiate, or withdraw the recruitment/ selection process at any point.
For application materials please visit our Web site at www.hancockcollege.edu or contact:
Allan Hancock College
Human Resources, Building B
800 South College Drive
Santa Maria, CA 93454-6399
(805) 922-6966, extension 3378
FAX (805) 922-9196