We are seeking a full time teacher of Spanish who can also offer to teach some French. The position will be a full-time two years renewable contract starting August 2017.
Spanish is a thriving subject within the school with iGCSE groups and three IB groups spanning ab initio, Standard and Higher level. The popularity of the subject within the school is matched by the success of our students who attain above expectations and who achieve positive value added.
You will be teaching within a team of committed linguists who teach Spanish, French and Chinese. Your timetable will be mostly Spanish, across the full age and ability range, including IB Standard and Higher level. Ideally, you will also be able to teach French to at least iGCSE.
All teachers at West Island School are tutors to a group of approximately 15 students within a particular year group.
In addition to being a committed team player with the ability to contribute to the work of the Spanish Department and Languages Faculty, the ideal candidate will have the following qualities:
- A high proficiency in Spanish language
- The ability to teach up to both IB Standard and Higher Level
- Relevant recent teaching experience of GCSE, IGCSE and IB (or equivalents)
- Sound understanding of how to teach students with different learning needs
- Experience of teaching students from diverse cultural backgrounds
- Willingness to embrace change
- Excellent writing and speaking skills in English
- Bachelor Degree in Education, or Bachelor Degree in the subject with PGCE (Postgraduate Certificate of Education), or equivalent
- Experience of teaching Spanish up to and including Year 13, preferably IB Higher, or equivalent.
- Ability to offer a second language, French to at least iGCSE
- Previous full-time teaching experience
- Commitment to inclusion
- Evidence of leading or contributing to an extra-curricular programme of events
- Pro-active, adaptable and passionate team player able to share responsibility for the development of curriculum and pedagogy.