Tipo de centro:
Tipo de contrato:
Each Ghent University staff member can count on a number of benefits such as a bike allowance, reimbursement of public transport commuting costs, daycare, a wide range of sports facilities and EcoCheques.. A complete overview of all our employee benefits (in Dutch).
Ghent University also invests in welcoming international professorial staff. It offers various housing options, a relocation bonus, the International School for school-aged children (with a discount on the tuition fee), support when registering at the City of Ghent, support with the procedure of family reunification and other administrative matters in connection with moving to Ghent. More information can be found on www.ugent.be/en/living.
Candidates who are newly appointed at Ghent University with an appointment as autonomous academic staff of at least 50% or candidates whose appointment as autonomous academic staff at Ghent University is increased to a minimum of 50% receive a Starting Grant of € 210,000 to contribute towards the personnel, operating and/or equipment costs of establishing a research team.
The Department of Translation, Interpreting and Communication of the Faculty of Arts and Philosophy at Ghent University offers a Bachelor's degree in Applied Language Studies (German, English, French, Italian, Dutch, Russian, Spanish, Turkish), and three one-year Master's degrees (Translation, Interpreting, Multilingual Communication). We have a vacancy for an assistant professor (tenure track) of Spanish, and in particular Spanish for Specific Purposes whose appointment will include academic teaching, academic research and academic services. The earliest starting date of the position is 1 February 2023.
We offer you a temporary appointment in a tenure track system for a term of five years. If positively evaluated by the University Board, the term of office will be transferred into a permanent appointment as an associate professor.
Should you already be a member of the professorial staff or hold an equal post at another university or research institution, you can immediately be appointed as a tenured assistant professor, without prejudice to the possibility of a temporary appointment offered in article V.28 of the Codex of Higher Education.
The starting date of the appointment will be 1 February 2023.
You will be responsible for the courses Business and Public Communication (Spanish) in the Master in Multilingual Communication. You will also be involved in Spanish foreign language teaching at bachelor level. You will supervise bachelor and master dissertations in our curricula.
You will conduct research within the Multiples and/or LT3 research groups at the Faculty of Arts and Philosophy. Your research will focus on Spanish for Specific Purposes, such as, for example, business communication, terminology, discourse analysis of professional communication, digital communication applications, didactics of Spanish for Specific Purposes, etc. You will communicate research findings both in established academic outlets (peer-reviewed journals, peer-reviewed monographs, tier I conferences) and to a broad audience of non-academic readers.
You will take part in the internal and external service provision of the Department of Translation, Interpreting and Communication.
- You have obtained a PhD in a relevant field (applied linguistics, language and literature, communication sciences);
- You have already conducted high-quality academic research in the specified research field, which is clearly reflected in publications in high-quality academic journals and peer-reviewed books;
- You are capable of initiating, supervising and acquiring the necessary funding for academic research;
- You are didactically skilled to teach university students to develop academic competences;
- You have demonstrable experience in teaching at university level;
- Your Spanish is native or at C2 level of the ERF;
- You have a command of Dutch of at least level B2, or you are prepared to attain level B2 within five years of recruitment. More info: Language requirements at Ghent University for professorial staff.
Skills / Attitude
- You are quality-oriented;
- You have a sense for initiative;
- You are able to work independently as well as in a team;
- You are flexible to participate in the engagements and tasks within the Spanish area.
- You hold a thesis-based doctoral degree or a diploma or certificate that is recognised as equivalent (article V.20 Codex Higher Education).
Upon evaluation of a foreign (non-EU) degree, a certificate of equivalence may still have to be requested at NARIC. If this is the case, we advise you to initiate this recognition procedure as soon as possible. You are required to have the recognition no later than the date of your appointment.
- You have at least two years of postdoctoral experience on 1 February 2023. This term of two years is determined by the date written on the required degree mentioned above.
Apply online through the e-recruitment system before the application deadline. We do not accept late applications or applications that are not sent through the online system.
Your application must include the following documents:
- In the field ‘Cv’: one-pdf file with the professorial staff application form
- In the field ‘Cover letter’: your application letter in pdf format
- In the field ‘Diploma’: a transcript of your doctoral degree. If you have a foreign degree in a language other than our national languages (Dutch, French or German) or English, please add a translation in one of the languages mentioned above.
- In the field ‘Certificate of equivalence’: only for degrees awarded outside the European Union: certificate of equivalence (NARIC) (if already in your possession)
Note that the maximum file size for each field is 10 MB.